Although your Thermador dishwasher has many high-end amenities, a self-cleaning feature is not one of them. So if you notice that your dishwasher has an unpleasant odor you’ll know it’s overdue for a good cleaning. We’ll review how to clean a Thermador dishwasher from the tub to the spray arms to banish odor.
Quick Steps for How to Clean a Thermador Dishwasher
When your Thermador dishwasher smells bad getting rid of the odor may be the only thing on your mind. But it’s important to know where bad smells originate in order to prevent their return. Before we give the 411 on proper Thermador dishwasher cleaning techniques, we’ll first discuss what causes bad smells.
Why Does My Thermador Dishwasher Smell?
When you ask yourself, ‘Why does my dishwasher stink?” the answer almost always comes down to trapped food particles. Here are the most common hiding spots for leftover food:
- Clogged dishwasher filter
- Kinked or bent dishwasher hose
- Mold or mildew on dishwasher walls or gasket
- Dishes left inside the dishwasher for too long
These food particles decompose rapidly in the warm, moist interior of the dishwasher and create a foul odor as they break down. Regular monthly cleanings with the following methods can help prevent buildup and odor.
How to Clean Dishwasher Interior
The first step in how to clean a Thermador dishwasher addresses the interior, where mildew can accumulate over time. But what is the best way to clean the inside of a dishwasher? These simple steps detail how:
- Place 1 cup of white vinegar in a dishwasher-safe bowl on the top rack of an empty dishwasher
- Run a wash cycle on the hottest setting
- Remove the bowl at the end of the cycle and sprinkle 1-cup baking soda on the floor of the dishwasher’s interior. Alternatively, you can place a bottle of commercial dishwasher cleaner upside down in the bottom rack.
- Run a second wash cycle with hot water
Thermador Dishwasher Filter Cleaning Tips
A dishwasher filter screens out food particles that could otherwise cause harmful clogs in the drain. However, in order to function optimally, the filter should be cleaned monthly to prevent clogs. Here’s how to clean a Thermador dishwasher filter quickly and easily:
- Remove the dishwasher’s bottom rack and locate the filter on the base of the dishwasher
- Twist the filter and pull upward to remove
- Rinse the filter under warm, running water
- Use a soft scrub brush to remove stubborn particles
- Replace the filter and bottom rack
Cleaning Thermador Dishwasher Spray Arms
Dishwasher spray arms are located just below the top rack and underneath the bottom rack in the base of the dishwasher. Given these locations, the arms can become clogged with small food particles from dishes. Knowing how to load a dishwasher correctly can lessen the chance of spray arms getting clogged, while these measures can provide a thorough cleaning:
- Disconnect top and bottom spray arms from dishwasher
- Rinse each arm under warm, running water
- Use a toothpick to dislodge any particles trapped in the spray arms’ nozzles
- Dry and replace each spray arm
Final Dishwasher Cleaning Steps
These final tips for how to clean a Thermador dishwasher address how to remove stains and clean the rubber door seal, where additional food particles can hide:
- For hard water and rust stains: use a commercial dishwasher cleaner to break down stains as soon as they’re visible
- To remove lime buildup: empty the dishwasher and run a quick, hot wash cycle. Open the dishwasher, add a commercial descaler to the base of the dishwasher and run a second hot wash cycle.
- Clean rubber door seal: wipe the seal with a damp cloth and dry with a separate cloth.
Advance Appliance Service can provide tips on how to clean a Thermador dishwasher as well as quickly repair a dishwasher not starting. As the Nashville area’s premier high-end dishwasher service, call us with any question or concern!