While it may seem strange, a refrigerator that feels warm while the freezer is still cold is a common problem. What’s going on when your LG freezer is cold but refrigerator is not? An overcrowded refrigerator compartment can restrict the flow of cold air. We answer why my fridge isn’t cold but the freezer is with five common causes.
LG Freezer Is Cold but Refrigerator Is Not?
This Could Be Why.
Overcrowding, dirty condenser coils and part malfunctions can all result in a warm fridge but cold freezer. How do you know which is responsible? These troubleshooting tips can help determine why your LG freezer is cold but refrigerator is not.
Exceeding Refrigerator Capacity
Too much food can be the reason your LG refrigerator freezer is cold but refrigerator is warm. Overcrowded refrigerator shelves can block the vents that allow cold air to flow from the freezer to the refrigerator. Items that are packed tightly together also leave little space for existing cold air to circulate.
Avoid overloading with these refrigerator stocking tips:
- Place items away from air vents: Leave at least an inch of space between the refrigerator walls and your fresh foods and containers.
- Leave space between each item: Make sure there’s adequate space between items on refrigerator shelves so air can freely circulate.
- Keep the refrigerator ¾ of the way full: This allows for enough items to help cool the refrigerator without overcrowding it.
Condenser Coils Are Dirty
A refrigerator’s condenser coils cool the flowing refrigerant, helping create cool air for the refrigerator. Over time, these coils can become coated in dust and dirt, preventing the refrigerant from adequately cooling. When this happens, you’ll find your refrigerator won’t get cold but freezer will operate normally. Regular coil cleanings every 6-12 months should prevent the buildup that can cause cooling problems.
Follow these steps to clean LG refrigerator condenser coils:
- Move the refrigerator away from the wall and disconnect its electrical power.
- Aim a narrow vacuum hose attachment at the coil vents on the bottom of the refrigerator’s rear panel.
- Circulate the hose back and forth across the vents to remove dust and debris.
- Restore the refrigerator’s power and position it back in place.
Faulty Refrigerator Thermistor
The thermistor monitors the refrigerator’s internal temperature, communicating its readings to the control board. The control board then regulates the evaporator and compressor, producing or restricting cool air. However, when the thermistor is faulty, it may give the control board incorrect readings that don’t signal the evaporator and compressor. The lack of cool air results in your LG refrigerator not cooling but freezer works fine.
If the thermistor shows a lack of continuity with multimeter testing, it’s likely faulty and requires replacement.
Image Courtesy of LG Newsroom
Evaporator Fan Motor Failure
The evaporator fan helps cool refrigerant as it flows through the evaporator coils. It also circulates cool air from the freezer to the refrigerator. If the fan motor malfunctions, the blades won’t rotate and you’ll find that your LG freezer is cold but refrigerator is not.
A failed evaporator fan motor can show the following signs and should be replaced:
- Excessive operating noise
- Fan blades don’t turn easily by hand
- Motor shows no continuity with multimeter testing
Defrost System Issue
Have you tried the above tips and still find that your LG freezer is cold but refrigerator is not? A defrost system issue can cause a buildup of ice that blocks airflow, raising the refrigerator temperature. While the whole system is likely not defective, specific components, such as the defrost timer, thermostat or control board may have failed. As pinpointing the failed component can be difficult, a professional LG refrigerator service should handle this repair.
The team at Advance Appliance Service can help when your LG freezer is cold but refrigerator is not. Schedule your expert service today!